Call: (951)-404-6452 Address: 26820 Cherry Hills Blvd Suite 4 (Inside Menifee Chiropractic), Menifee, CA 92586
- What is Bio-puncture?
- How does Bio-puncture relieve pain?
- Cost: $70.00 per session of treatment
What is Bio-puncture therapy?
Bio-puncture therapy is an alternative therapy that may help promote the healing process of body tissues, relieve pain and decrease inflammation. It is a form of regenerative injection therapy or proliferation therapy.
Bio-puncture involves injecting a homeopathic (Traumeel) solution with or without salt solution (saline) into a joint or different body part to treat some common conditions. Traumeel is a fixed combination of diluted plant and mineral extracts. It has been available over the counter in Germany for over 60 years and in Austria for over 40 years, and is currently available in approximately 50 countries, including the USA. There are different types of bio-puncture therapy, but they all aim to support the body to repair itself.
Common conditions might beneficial from Bio-puncture therapy are:
- Tendon, muscle, and ligament problems
- Arthritis of the knees, hips, and fingers
- Degenerative disc disease
- Muscle sprains and strains
- Lax or unstable joints
How does Bio-puncture relieve pain?
The main ingredient of the Bio-puncture injection, Traumeel, has shown comparable effectiveness to NSAIDs in terms of reducing symptoms of inflammation, accelerating recovery, and improving mobility, with a favorable safety profile.
The combination is currently used to treat acute musculoskeletal injuries, such as sprains and traumatic injuries, and as supportive therapy in pain and inflammation of the musculoskeletal system. It can be used in the form of tablets, drops, injection solution, ointment, and gel.
While continued research and development is ongoing to broaden the clinical evidence of Traumeel in acute musculoskeletal injury and to further establish its benefits, current information suggests that Traumeel may be considered as an anti-inflammatory agent that is at least as effective and appears to be better tolerated than NSAIDs.
(PMID: 21556350 Traumeel - an emerging option to nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in the management of acute musculoskeletal injuries)
The therapy might help:
- Reduce pain and stiffness
- Improved strength, function, and mobility of the joint
- Increase the strength of ligaments and other tissues
- Increase circulation to the injured area
What is the current research of Bio-puncture therapy?
The anti-inflammatory effect of Traumeel results from the activity of the various components on the different phases of the inflammatory response.
- In all cases, pain relief was appreciated at an average of 50% less than chronic pain levels, measured on a numeric rating scale. Additional reports of increased function were consistent throughout all patients in this study. No side effects were reported. For select spinal pain conditions, Traumeel provided 50% symptomatic pain relief and an increase in reported function via epidural injection without a report of side effects. (PMID: 31890399 Traumeel® Epidural Injection: A Viable Alternative to Corticosteroids - A Five-Patient Case Study)
- After the last injection, all patients experienced a marked reduction of their level of pain on average from 7.6 +/- 1.5 to 2.4 +/- 1.4 points on a scale from 1 to 10 points. After a follow up observational phase of 3 and 6 months, pain score ratings increased slightly again in some patients but remained consistently low in others. In any case, the ratings of pain levels did not reach the values assessed before the start of Traumeel injection. Similarly, health-related quality of life improved with this injection therapy. The perception of pain relief with Traumeel injection was high in 8 of 9 patients, reflecting an overall perceived positive outcome and tolerability of this treatment. (PMID: 20085178 A series of case reports: clinical evaluation of a complex homeopathic injection therapy in the management of pain in patients after breast cancer treatment)
What are the risks of Bio-puncture?
Potential adverse effects include:
- Pain and stiffness
- Bruising and swelling
- Allergic reactions
Depending on the type of Bio-puncture, even more rare adverse effects are:
- Spinal headache
- Nerve, ligament, or tendon damage
- A collapsed lung, known as pneumothorax
Preparation before Bio-puncture therapy
Before receving Bio-puncture therapy, if you have any diagnostic images, including MRI scans and X-rays, please bring in and Dr. Zi will review them with you.
Discuss your medications, supplements, and allergies with Dr. Zi before having the treatment.
What you will expect for a Bio-puncture procedure?
The entire procedure might vary depend on individual need, but in general this will include:
- Clean your skin.
- Apply a numbing cream to the injection site to reduce pain.
- Inject the solution in the affected areas.
The process should take around 30 minutes, including preparation.
Immediately after treatment, it may need to apply ice or heat packs to the treated areas for 10–15 minutes. During this time, you will rest.
Then you’ll be able to go home.
Recovery after Bio-puncture therapy
Immediately after the procedure, you’ll likely notice some swelling and stiffness with or without skin rash. Most people can resume normal activities by the next day, although bruising, discomfort, swelling, and stiffness may continue for up to a week.
Seek medical attention at once if you notice:
- Severe or worsening pain, swelling, or both
- A fever
Bio-puncture doesn’t have approval from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and most insurance policies won’t cover it.
Depending on your treatment plan, call Dr. Zi to discuss the cost of the entire treatment. The cost will be $70 per treatment session.
The number of treatments will vary according to individual needs.
According to current researches, the following are typical courses of treatment:
- For an inflammatory condition involving a joint: three to six injections at intervals of 4 to 6 weeks.
- For neural therapy, for example, to treat nerve pain in the face: Weekly injections for 5 to 10 weeks.